Thursday, April 8, 2010

Winsor Newton Artisans


Lately I'm falling in love with Winsor Newton Artisans Water soluble oils. It's a mouthful to say, and I'm not here to endorse a product, I'm just not sure if any other maker supplies such a unique paint? Let me know if you know.

And the reason I wanna talk about it is because I really can't find much information about it on the Internet. I'm not even sure what media to use it on! I'm finding on linen canvas, where ordinary oils are king, Artisans tend to slip off. Instead I'm finding paper that can hold water more exciting to use. Here is my very basic palette.



I'll be posting my thoughts on how they work for me in future. But if your looking for something with the convenience of gouache but the guts of oils, get out there and give these a try! Then come back and tell me how to use them properly!

Anyway have a great weekend.

8 comments:

  1. wow, i may have to give those paints a try. this painting is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! It looks like an amazing medium! I will definitely search for more info! If I come across something, I let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice character, like the stroke work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,
    I work at Winsor & Newton and came across your blog post and couldn't help but comment. You can find plenty of information about Artisan on our website http://www.winsornewton.com/products/oil-colours/artisan-water-mixable-oil-colour/ and the idea is that it works like a genuine oil colour but without the harmful solvents so all usual oil surfaces apply. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really dig your treatment with this medium. Great result. I can't really offer anything else since I've never tried 'em. Look forward to seeing more with these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work man - these are the oils I use as well. Love em! I've had no problems with them on linen canvas though? Although, if you are using water to thin them down, then I could see that being an issue. Keep posting paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely work! I like the colours. And the birds are super cool

    ReplyDelete